Robert G. Lee, a Christian comedian, created a bit based on a conversation he had with a young lady. She asked why Jesus didn’t come today instead of 2000 years ago. He came up with reasons why Jesus would have a hard time in today’s society. With some liberty taken, here are some to think about:
- Some, if not most, of the disciples would have had a hard time passing the required background checks
- The AMA would have sought to prosecute Jesus for practicing medicine without a license
- The FDA would have fined Jesus for feeding the multitude without individually wrapping and scanning the fish and loaves
- Jesus would have been brought up on charges for hate speech after calling the Pharisees hypocrites and a brood of vipers
- The IRS would have investigated Jesus for undisclosed income, mostly because of His shady accountant, Judas
- The American Psychiatric Association would want Him examined because of His claims of divinity
- In our 24/7 news cycle, He would have been constantly harassed by the media, hyping controversy and looking for dirt
- The Federal Government through a variety of alphabet agencies would surveil Him, perhaps arrest Him for subversive activity
Uh oh … I think I know where this is headed. It would be comical if it weren’t so tragic. If Jesus came today instead of 2000 years ago, would He have been treated the same way? Would He be rejected by the intelligentsia and religious establishment of our day? Would folks like you and me recognize Him? Follow Him? Worship Him? Would we choose love and compassion over hate and fear for His sake? Would we build bridges instead of erecting walls for His sake? Would we dare to treat others as we wish to be treated for His sake?
What if He showed up tomorrow? Not for the first time, but the second. He will, you know, and it may come soon. Let’s get busy.